Mod Reminder

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby gibby on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:00 pm

I think it's time we put this horse to bed, so far I havn't heard anything as to how the new site will actually be except that some sort of a mixed version of 1.05 & 1.06 will be the standard.
edit: and 6-7 months ago we where all worried we would not even have this site to play at.
gibby

Postby sinewiz on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:16 pm

KCJammer wrote:
Crissy wrote:I find the mod funny to tell you the truth, the people that should play it don’t like it and wont play it and the people that should never play it love it and push it and push it every chance they get, go figure.

I'm trying to follow what you're saying, and I thought I was staying with you until I got to the passage above.

What do you mean when you refer to "the people that should play it" and "the people that should never play it."

Sorry, but I lost you back at the light, lol.

I understand exactly the point Crissy is making. Her point is that the players she perceives as being the best don't seem to play the mod, and all the lowly second class citizens who aren't capable of beating the best 1.05 players are playing 1.06. Convoluted logic if you ask me. But that in a nutshell tells me that she doesn't quite grasp the point of it all.

Those of us that play the mod are playing it for only one reason. Because we see it a huge upgrade in the realism of the game and that’s why we play Links. Because we are looking for a simulation of golf. If we score well, well, that’s a bonus. But there are many people who play this game for the sheer immersion into the game and the camaraderie of others, and if we never shoot -14 or -17 like some of the fabulous players who play 1.05 from the ladies tees with no wind, we could really care less.

I am no more than an average player but I take exception to being told that because I am, I probably shouldn’t be playing the mod. I play 1.06 exclusively, with champ click, I head off to the back tees, add windy conditions, and break par from time to time, and you might be surprised to find that I probably find that just as fulfilling as others shooting -17. It's amazing that those that want the biggest challenge should be criticized for taking it on, and those that are supposed to be the best look for something less difficult because they enjoy seeing their name at the top of some leader board.

I for one hope those criminals at APCD keep up their dastardly deeds and improving this game even more. I know if they hadn't I would have given it up some time ago. Heaven forbid I might even have taken up TW.....Nahhhh!

Oh yea, just my opinion.
sinewiz

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:22 pm

sinewiz wrote:Heaven forbid I might even have taken up TW.....Nahhhh!

we all have our moments of insanity. (8
terrell

Postby sinewiz on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:36 pm

terrell wrote:
sinewiz wrote:Heaven forbid I might even have taken up TW.....Nahhhh!

we all have our moments of insanity. (8

Fortunately after a fleeting moment of insanity, clarity kicked in :D
sinewiz

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 pm

sinewiz wrote:I understand exactly the point Crissy is making. Her point is that the players she perceives as being the best don't seem to play the mod, and all the lowly second class citizens who aren't capable of beating the best 1.05 players are playing 1.06. Convoluted logic if you ask me. But that in a nutshell tells me that she doesn't quite grasp the point of it all.

Those of us that play the mod are playing it for only one reason. Because we see it a huge upgrade in the realism of the game and that’s why we play Links. Because we are looking for a simulation of golf. If we score well, well, that’s a bonus. But there are many people who play this game for the sheer immersion into the game and the camaraderie of others, and if we never shoot -14 or -17 like some of the fabulous players who play 1.05 from the ladies tees with no wind, we could really care less.

I am no more than an average player but I take exception to being told that because I am, I probably shouldn’t be playing the mod. I play 1.06 exclusively, with champ click, I head off to the back tees, add windy conditions, and break par from time to time, and you might be surprised to find that I probably find that just as fulfilling as others shooting -17. It's amazing that those that want the biggest challenge should be criticized for taking it on, and those that are supposed to be the best look for something less difficult because they enjoy seeing their name at the top of some leader board.

I for one hope those criminals at APCD keep up their dastardly deeds and improving this game even more. I know if they hadn't I would have given it up some time ago. Heaven forbid I might even have taken up TW.....Nahhhh!

Oh yea, just my opinion.

I am not begrudging you the mod one bit, love the mod embrace it give it a pet name make it your own. I am a purest just like people that like old time hockey, I like the game the way it was made or designed to be. Just because I don’t want some half baked piece of software that leaves half my APCD Courses obsolete stuck in my game day in and day out for the rest of my natural born life, does not make me a bad person. lol Your welcome to add the thing to your game feel free to embrace the horror, just don’t force the mod on me or anyone else is all I ask. The more you defend it the more people hate it, its like trying to sell a car with a flat tire. lol

Thanks so very much for posting.

Crissy P/S I would like to say I am sorry you took exception to parts of my previous post but I would be fibbing, I somehow new you would the minute I posted it. lol
Crissy

Postby Bluenoser on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is being "forced" on people. No one can answer that question.

If both 1.05 and 1.06 settings are available in an upgrade, what exactly is it that's being "forced" on you? The fact that they're in the game doesn't mean you are being "forced" to use them. You can still play 1.05 conditions and just ignore the other settings. I don't think they'll bite you.

I hear claims that this site should have to offer 1.05 tournaments since the proposed upgrade isn't official as far as the games rights are concerned. Well hello, this site isn't official either as far as the games rights are concerned, so by what right must they offer 1.05 tournaments?

The people upgrading the game are criminals? They belong in jail? Too funny.
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby LH13241 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:22 pm

Crissy wrote:And there is no one here that can say I don’t like it because I cant play it, the last time I loaded it I shot -17 or -18 my first round I played. Even playing pro Power Stroke on the same course I shot -14. So I can assure you for top players its not a very big deal at all if I can do it. ( They just don't like it ) As I once said before you can do what you want the best players will always be the best players, thats just the way it is.
Crissy

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but playing from the woman's tee with no wind at pro is not a challenge.
Here's a challenge, Augusta or Pebbles Beach (the latest versions of both) from the back tee's with breezy conditions and moderate/fast greens with the MOD at Elite and then I'll believe your -17/-18.
That is what I call a real challenge, and if you do shoot the lights out, then yes I'll agree that the MOD did not bring anything new to this game. I'm even willing to play this challenge online with you. Are you willing??

LH
LH13241

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:36 pm

LH13241 wrote:
Crissy wrote:And there is no one here that can say I don’t like it because I cant play it, the last time I loaded it I shot -17 or -18 my first round I played. Even playing pro Power Stroke on the same course I shot -14. So I can assure you for top players its not a very big deal at all if I can do it. ( They just don't like it ) As I once said before you can do what you want the best players will always be the best players, thats just the way it is.
Crissy

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but playing from the woman's tee with no wind at pro is not a challenge.
Here's a challenge, Augusta or Pebbles Beach (the latest versions of both) from the back tee's with breezy conditions and moderate/fast greens with the MOD at Elite and then I'll believe your -17/-18.
That is what I call a real challenge, and if you do shoot the lights out, then yes I'll agree that the MOD did not bring anything new to this game. I'm even willing to play this challenge online with you. Are you willing??

LH

When we played on the other tour my scoring average was a little better then -19 at pro level. ( And I was not ranked number one ether ) So -17 or so with the mod no wind mm greens from the back tees was nothing that great I can assure you.

My only point in posting that statement was if you can shoot low without the mod, you can also do it with the mod.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:43 pm

BruceM wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is being "forced" on people. No one can answer that question.

If both 1.05 and 1.06 settings are available in an upgrade, what exactly is it that's being "forced" on you? The fact that they're in the game doesn't mean you are being "forced" to use them. You can still play 1.05 conditions and just ignore the other settings. I don't think they'll bite you.

I hear claims that this site should have to offer 1.05 tournaments since the proposed upgrade isn't official as far as the games rights are concerned. Well hello, this site isn't official either as far as the games rights are concerned, so by what right must they offer 1.05 tournaments?

Now your in twos and threes, trust me you need more guys. lol

If I have to add the mod to the game just to play on this site or any other, I am being forced to add some third party piece of software that I do not want on my PC. ( Its like spyware only worse ) Was that so hard for you understand ? So if you can guaranty me that if a new unofficial update is released I can still play Links on this site or any other I choose with out adding the mod as a permanent fixture, we have no problem what so ever.

And as far as people being criminals you took what you wanted out of my post and left the rest out. Its about what I would expect though, its kind of a waist of my time explaining it again don’t you think.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby LH13241 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:55 pm

Crissy, I've played on almost every MOD tour there is, and I've always been near or at the top.
Never seen you on these tours, nor have I seen such scores, unless you are talking about this tour. I've seen some very well known players from this tour else where shoot -10, but not the likes of what you are saying.

LH
LH13241

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:03 pm

LH13241 wrote:Crissy, I've played on almost every MOD tour there is, and I've always been near or at the top.
Never seen you on these tours, nor have I seen such scores, unless you are talking about this tour. I've seen some very well known players from this tour else where shoot -10, but not the likes of what you are saying.

LH

Well I am not fibbing I have broke -80 in a reg tourneys on the old tour with out the mod many times at pro level ask around if you like. I even shot -102 once I think off the baby tees with no wind but that was just a fun tourney. ( I didn't win that one ether I was second, I cried for weeks. lol ) You don't have to be-leave me thats fine, thats your right. I was just trying to make a point about the mod is all.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby LH13241 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:03 pm

Crissy, if I may explain what Bruce is saying, my way.
They will be upgrading the 1.5 version and they will also upgrade the 1.6 version.
They will combine the 2 versions into one, instead of having 2 separate versions.
Now, since you play 1.5, you will be playing the upgraded 1.5 version.
I will be playing the upgraded MOD version and if I want to play the 1.5, well I just do.
I don't have to load a separate versions.
Therefore, all you will see is the upgraded 1.5, since that is all you want to know

Hope this makes things clearer

LH
LH13241

Postby LH13241 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Crissy wrote:Well I am not fibbing I have broke -80 in a reg tourneys on the old tour with out the mod many times at pro level ask around if you like. I even shot -102 once I think off the baby tees with no wind but that was just a fun tourney. ( I didn't win that one ether I was second, I cried for weeks. lol ) You don't have to be-leave me thats fine, thats your right. I was just trying to make a point about the mod is all.

Crissy

Crissy, don't get me wrong, I did see your scores here or at the old site and you are a very good player, but that's at 1.5, I was talking about the ***MOD***

LH
LH13241

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:24 pm

LH13241 wrote:
Crissy wrote:Well I am not fibbing I have broke -80 in a reg tourneys on the old tour with out the mod many times at pro level ask around if you like. I even shot -102 once I think off the baby tees with no wind but that was just a fun tourney. ( I didn't win that one ether I was second, I cried for weeks. lol ) You don't have to be-leave me thats fine, thats your right. I was just trying to make a point about the mod is all.

Crissy

Crissy, don't get me wrong, I did see your scores here or at the old site and you are a very good player, but that's at 1.5, I was talking about the ***MOD***

LH

Yes you are correct all but the one -17 was using the 1.5 not the mod. Sorry if I led you to believe they were obtained using the mod, that was not my intention.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Harpo on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 pm

BruceM wrote:I hear claims that this site should have to offer 1.05 tournaments since the proposed upgrade isn't official as far as the games rights are concerned. Well hello, this site isn't official either as far as the games rights are concerned, so by what right must they offer 1.05 tournaments?

Where can the rest of us get this code then? I have not heard a good answer on that question as to who offically got permission to use it. That can't be that hard of a question.
Jim
Harpo

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It