Mod Reminder

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby LH13241 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:19 pm

I totally agree with Bruce. Some proposed changes will make the game much better.
I've been on tour and off since it first started, but I rarely post, so here I am posting Crissy.
Crissy, if you want to put your suggestions on the list, there are sites available for that, so don't say you can't give you're input. As for an official release, I don't think so, the game will only get better with modifications suggested by all who play the game and brought to life by Mark and Andrew. Like Bruce said, with all the new versions that came out, we all adapted to the changes, so what is different now?
The MOD is very good and I think that those who are against it, is because they don't want to accept change or shoot worse that -20 and are the ones that are against P2P courses
Desperado, nothing will stop you from playing the way you are now. But if you ever decide to face bigger challenges, you will embrace the changes. If not, stick with playing pro from the woman tees on MS courses and shooting in the -20's and nothing will change.
I personally think, that most people who don't want any changes, it probably as to do with the people who are putting hours on trying to make a better game, it's really to bad!

I for one play both, regular and the MOD at Elite and love this game, better than TW

LH
LH13241

Postby Crissy on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:41 pm

LH13241 wrote:The MOD is very good and I think that those who are against it, is because they don't want to accept change or shoot worse that -20 and are the ones that are against P2P courses
Desperado, nothing will stop you from playing the way you are now. But if you ever decide to face bigger challenges, you will embrace the changes. If not, stick with playing pro from the woman tees on MS courses and shooting in the -20's and nothing will change.
I personally think, that most people who don't want any changes, it probably as to do with the people who are putting hours on trying to make a better game, it's really to bad!

LH

It makes no never mind mod or no mod if you can win with no mod you will win with the mod. The best players will always be the best players no matter what anyone does or does not do, thats a fact. Its just that just about every top player at every swing type at every level does not like the mod.

The more I think on this I would think we are gabbing about nothing as adding the mod as a must use or mandatory upgrade would be against the law anyway. You just cant go messing with a game someone else owns and then tell the world they have to use it in order to play here. You would not pass go and would have to go directly to jail. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Harpo on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:46 pm

I am trying to sit back and take all this in and am getting some questions myself. I'm not saying that some of the changes aren't good or bad but as I see it, this is going to be a change in the software and is not really an offical upgrade but a software change for this site. What if you play on other sites and the new version is not compatible? Would you then need not 2 but 3 versions. (1.7, 1.6 and 1.5) I have met both Mark and David and both are gr8 guys and I'am grateful for what they have done and doing now for us but I have the same question that I had when I heard that the old courses were being updated. (and was wrong when I found out they were not using the old courses files) Is anyone allowed/able to change the code for this game?
Jim
Harpo

Postby LH13241 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Crissy, nobody is saying you will have to use MOD, you will use the one you want.
It will be in the upgrade if you want it, nobody will oblige you.

"It makes no never mind mod or no mod if you can win with no mod you will win with the mod. The best players will always be the best players no matter what anyone does or does not do, thats a fact. Its just that just about every top player at every swing type at every level does not like the mod."

Totally disagree

LH
LH13241

Postby Crissy on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:55 pm

LH13241 wrote:Crissy, nobody is saying you will have to use MOD, you will use the one you want.
It will be in the upgrade if you want it, nobody will oblige you.

"It makes no never mind mod or no mod if you can win with no mod you will win with the mod. The best players will always be the best players no matter what anyone does or does not do, thats a fact. Its just that just about every top player at every swing type at every level does not like the mod."

Totally disagree

LH

You have your point of view and I have mine I respect that. It is also nice to see people that dont post all that much such as yourself poping in and adding there thoughts, its nice to see.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby LH13241 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks Crissy, nothing wrong with 2 people having a mature Canadian conversation..lol
LH13241

Postby Bluenoser on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Crissy wrote:As you well know Mark Hulka does not work for Microsoft, or any other company remotely related to the development of Links. ( Or so he posted himself sometime ago ) So I would think that makes all this about as unofficial as it can possibly be. ( There is nothing somewhat official, it ether is or it isn't )

In case you hadn't noticed, this Tour site has nothing to do with any company remotely affiliated with the game of Links either.

Crissy wrote:All I am saying is most people here hate the mode and always have, so don't change the game so they cant play the tour with out it. If you want to have some kind of add-on thing-y such as the mod is now that people can add if they like thats ok. But adding anything unofficial and then forcing them to use it just to play this tour is wrong. It may very well be against the law anyway, and this thread does not mean a hill of beans to begin with who knows.

Crissy

No Chrissy, people don't "hate" the MOD. Some people like it, some are indifferent, and some just don't care for it. I've yet to see anyone use the word "hate" (other than yourself of course) when speaking of the MOD.

Now explain to me how anything is being "forced" on you. It's been clearly stated that with the upgrade you will still be able to use the game the way you use it now, so how is it people won't be able to play?
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby Crissy on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:06 pm

BruceM wrote:
Now explain to me how anything is being "forced" on you. It's been clearly stated that with the upgrade you will still be able to use the game the way you use it now, so how is it people won't be able to play?

As long as I and others can play on the Links Tour with out having to add this upgrade I am happy. If I am forced to add it just to play here I am not. So to be as plain as I can possibly be, the official stock game should be compatible with this Tour first an foremost. What ever add on you or anyone else wants to add to the game after that I could care less. We have enough wanta-be dictators in Links now we don’t need any more, thank you very much. People should have the choice, freedom rains freedom rains. lol

Crissy
Last edited by Crissy on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crissy

Postby Armand on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm

I may be out of place here with some of these comments, but as opinionated as we all are, it might be useful to try and see things differently ....

I would guess that I've read at least 95% of all of the posts here at LSPN (in all of the forums). I don't know my post count, but it's not a lot, I don't think. Although some may not agree, I believe there is a perception by those who post less often that their opinion-type posts are taken "less seriously" that those who post much more frequently. I'm not saying it's real/true and I don't think anyone will every say that it's true. However, I believe there is a perception, and that perception is the truth for those who feel it. For the record, I personally do not feel that, but I believe others do. This is similar to the perception many have about APCD-Courses and Links Tour.

If the 1.05 and 1.06 versions are combined and that new version is used on this tour, there may be a few rounds or events that are skipped by players as a result. But, I don't see that as any different that the current set up. How many people play all the tournaments, regardless of conditions? How many people skip the 'Windy' rounds in 1.05 games?

To me, setting tournaments with difficult courses, extreme/ridiculous conditions is not very far different from people shooting -100 or better in amateur tournaments. That is my opinion and I'm certain that many or most do not agree with it.

Why are some against including 1.06 modifications with a new version, yet have no problem asking for more APCD courses be included. NONE of the APCD releases are 'official'. Since there is no 'official' development of Links, so some could argue that nothing should be tinkered with. How many lobbied to keep LSPN exactly the same as LS Tour? Many people don't care for 1.06, many people prefer it over 1.05. How many of those playing at LSPN or elsewhere haven't heard of 1.06? If they don't visit, read and/or post in the forums, it's quite possible that many have no idea it exists. How many of those that don't know it exists would prefer 1.05 to 1.06? How many would prefer 1.06 to 1.05?

Again, we are all opinionated and believe what we believe. It's difficult to convince others to share your opinions, but there is nothing wrong with trying to have people open their minds to other views. No one has to change their opinions, but I don't see that anything is being taken away from anyone, so I don't see the big resistance to change. It seems quite likely that some facets of the game (that are both present in 1.05 and 1.06) will be improved. I have yet to read anything that will be taken out of the game. I feel that more options are a benefit to the game and to the Links community in general as it should help get rid of the 1.05 and 1.06 camps.

Armand
Armand

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:44 pm

I think we can't see the forest for the tree's. Did not Mark and (I think) the folks at APCD courses.com combine to release both the 1.05 and 1.06 patchs. I know the 1.05 patch was not an official links resease .... it was 3rd party (being Mark) who did the programming tweaks and fixed all the things the official design team didn't fix with their patch. So as I see it we are in good hands folks. Whatever Mark and team do will be for the betterment of the game plain and simple.

I could be wrong in my understanding but the proposed patch combining both the 1.06 mod and the 1.05 version of Links will only combined the both under one hood. Players will only be able to play either the 1.o6 mod or the standard 1.05 version of Links with a check marked box in the Links game rather than having a separate launcher for each version of the game. No problem with that.

I simply do not see how both 1.06 and 1.05 green condition combined and work properly in the same tournament. You will have to play either the mod or the standard version of links in the same tournament. Folks around here are good but how on earth can the math (algorithms) (I think the word is) be combined for both the 1.06 mod and standard 1.05 version in the same tournament. I don't think they can but I could be wrong, I majored in beer drinking not math.
Last edited by DennisHarris on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby terrell on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 pm

DennisHarris wrote:and I could be wrong but the proposed patch combining both the 1.06 mod and the standard 1.05 version of Links will combined them both under one hood. Players will be able to play either the 1.o6 mod or the standard 1.05 version of Links by checking a box in the Links game rather than having a separate launcher for each version of the game.

where did you get that, dennis?
terrell

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm

terrell wrote:
DennisHarris wrote:and I could be wrong but the proposed patch combining both the 1.06 mod and the standard 1.05 version of Links will combined them both under one hood. Players will be able to play either the 1.o6 mod or the standard 1.05 version of Links by checking a box in the Links game rather than having a separate launcher for each version of the game.

where did you get that, dennis?

Terrell by reading and I could be wrong as I say. LOL

And all I did was remind folks to have there Mod friendly player selected before playing a mod tournament. Like I failed to do. LOL!
DennisHarris

Postby terrell on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:20 pm

who woulda thunk your thread would get so interesting?
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:03 pm

DennisHarris wrote:I simply do not see how both 1.06 and 1.05 green condition combined and work properly in the same tournament. You will have to play either the mod or the standard version of links in the same tournament. Folks around here are good but how on earth can the math (algorithms) (I think the word is) be combined for both the 1.06 mod and standard 1.05 version in the same tournament. I don't think they can but I could be wrong, I majored in beer drinking not math.

I think that's exactly what's gonna happen Dennis. I believe, when this new version rolls out, the terms "1.05" and "1.06" will fall by the wayside. There won't be any "pre-mod" or "mod." It will just be one game with more options and more features. All of these arguments, all of these proclamations from people saying "I won't play mod tournaments" or "I won't play v1.05 tournaments" will fall silent because there will be one unified version with more options.

In a thread at APCD-Courses.com, on the subject of conditons, AJ stated ...
All of them...

Any of the following

Soft, moderate, firm, mod soft, mod mod, mod firm

with any of the following

slow, medium, fast, mod slow, mod med, mod fast.

The sooner we get away from this mod vs. non-mod banter, the better. I'm looking forward to getting past this, to a point where we're all playing Links 2007, with the added options and features this new unified version will boast.
KCJammer

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:38 pm

KC,

If the two versions become combined into one huge collection of green conditions to be intermingled into one tournament .. Well I'm not in favor of that one least bit.

That idea of combining mod and non mod green conditions is IMO asking for trouble. Most People play this game for fun and recreation and throwing such a huge wrinkle into the mix by having mod ands non mod green conditions combined into the same tournament is IMO trouble. Sure we had new swing types introduced with new releases of
links but not something of the magnitude of mod and non-mod green conditions.

Banter or not this issue of Mod non-mod green conditions is most important. Lets not forget the significance of this proposed change. We are supposedly going from 9 to 18 different green conditions (if combined) that can be used for an 18 hole round of golf. Lets think about that for a minute. A green condition for each hole of the same tournament ranging from f/f non mod to f/f mod. LOL! I do not think Mark is in favor of that either. Something else maybe in the works for lspn tour or this might be an APCDcourses.com only project.

I guess we'll just wait and see. Time will tell.

@Terrell It certainly is interesting.....
DennisHarris

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It