PLSA U. S. Open (Pinehurst #2 Restoration HD)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: PLSA U. S. Open (Pinehurst #2 Restoration HD)

Postby GoBucks on Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:52 am

GoesForIt wrote:Just an observation about the IRL U. S. Open. I know the USGA can make a course tough. They love 18 on the stimpmeter. But IMO, even though it's equal for all, I don't think Pinehurst is a fair test.

I mean, if you decide to create a green a certain size and a player hits on that green it doesn't seem to me that his ball ought to end up 20, 30, 40 feet off the green.

I hope they don't go back there for a long, long time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fORMigM9f7
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby RonnieSmith on Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:29 am

I'm sure you are not alone in this opinion, but let me offer an alternative perspective. For context, consider next year's US Open site, Oakmont which was designed as well in the early 1900's.

Whether a sloping piece of grass is labeled "the green", or it is instead (as it will be next year), ankle high rough, the players have more than enough information to determine how far to hit the ball.

The wonderful thing that happens at Pinehurst is that when shots do miss the green (often after first visiting the green), players have a wide variety of shot choices. Though not my original plan yesterday, I ended up behind the 2nd green and watched the final 16 groups play that hole. 2 is a very hard green to hit, so we saw a great variety of different shots played when the green was missed. Different players whose ball ended up close to each other over the green would sometimes chip, and sometimes putt. Next year, there will be only one shot---the gouge from the thick rough.

Afterwards I shifted to hole 8 and then later to hole 14 to watch the final 5 or 6 groups play. So I saw DeChambeau's great par on hole 8. I was positioned about 40 yards short of the green on the right. For his 3rd shot, he could have chosen bump and run as well. In my opinion, that shot was harder (for a professional) than the sand shot he hit on #18 (though that of course was also a hard shot). The reason is that for the shot on hole 18, he knew he had a slope that would roll the ball towards the hole. On hole 8, it was going to roll away from the hole (or else he had to risk hitting the same shot again). There is very little room on the top shelf on hole 8 to stop a ball, and it's 8 to 10 feet above where he played from.

Also, next year at Oakmont, barring rain, you will see the greens play much firmer than they had them set up at Pinehurst. So you will see balls bouncing off the green into the thick rough rather than rolling off the green as this year. I don't know about fair or not fair, but it will be different.

My two cents (though I paid much more than that to be an eyewitness!),

Ronnie

GoesForIt wrote:Just an observation about the IRL U. S. Open. I know the USGA can make a course tough. They love 18 on the stimpmeter. But IMO, even though it's equal for all, I don't think Pinehurst is a fair test.

I mean, if you decide to create a green a certain size and a player hits on that green it doesn't seem to me that his ball ought to end up 20, 30, 40 feet off the green.

I hope they don't go back there for a long, long time.
RonnieSmith

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:34 pm

Geeesh! albatros, what got into you? I was slowly catching you, but this will create a huge gap. 61, what a round. Congrats.

And thanks to RonnieSmith, I stay out of the gutter. Courses for horses. I guess this wasn't our course.

Guess we're waiting on Higgi and Dirk to finish up.
GoesForIt

Postby albatros on Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:59 pm

thanks and not bad after starting with a bogey ;}

my driving average was just over 277 yards and usually near 290 but playing defense and an albatross just don't go well together lol not sure how long that will last.

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:58 pm

albatros wrote:my driving average was just over 277 yards and usually near 290

Look at my driving average and FIR. Didn't do me a whole lotta good. I think I 3-metal'd every par 4 under 460 yards... maybe some over 460.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:34 am

Hmmm. just finshed the ammy and pro events snapping well so thought I have a round of champ now and finish it tomorrow.
OOOps. literally the first snap I hit on an approach shot was on 9 and it went in. Not a course to keep missing the snap on although somehow I was decent off the T.

Overall Im glad I scored as well as I did albeit miles below Dirk. managed 4 snaps on approach so hope fully it will be better in the next 3 rounds
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:38 am

Just waiting on old Dirk to finish up. This one could be close folks. Needs 63 to tie.

Don't drink too much coffee. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:24 pm

RonnieSmith wrote:Also, next year at Oakmont...

Speaking of which. I just went through Oakmont Country Club 2010 Beta BETA by Scott Lewin. Whether he makes it to production or not, I'll be using his version of Oakmont for the U. S. Open 2025. It's extremely well done IMO.

I've found pins that are fair for FC/FC and I can almost promise FC/FC for the final two rounds. I'll look at the weather forecast about a week out and my submit some last minute modifications to Mark.

It's long and there's Oakmont heavy rount and those long tufts of grass. However, I found avoiding bunkers were more worrisome than those tufts of grass... unless Mr. Lewin adds a lot more in production.

Unlike Pinehurst, at Oakmont, you can hit a 5-iron from 210 yards and probably be in the center of the green... under MC or FC
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:30 pm

Well played Dirk. Great last round under pressure and needing 2 birdies to finish as well, congrats.
I knew I left the door wide open when I 3 putted from 10 feet on the last. Those ……m/f greens
RoyHiggi

Previous

Return to Talk About It